Sunday, August 19, 2012

They don't make them like they used to. Excellent example.

  It's an excellent example not just because it's a really good amp, but also because in the period that this blog loves, companies like Pioneer made their equipment lines this way top to bottom. The engineering is solid. The manufacturing standards are very high, and the design is elegant and considered. The SA-8500 was second from the top of Pioneers integrated line in 1975. It's a pleasure to use. It provides a deluxe user experience because it was designed to.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are 100% correct in your comment about the manufacturing standards from top of the line to bottom. My lone piece of vintage Pioneer is the SX-424 receiver, which the bottom of the line. I purchased this receiver in 1972 and it needs a bit of work, but not much. Since then I've acquired other hifi gear, so bringing the 424 up to new spec isn't a priority, but it can and will be done... soon.

Unknown said...

I recently got an SA-8900II (the SA-9500II in the US) in Japan for about $10US! It was encrusted with nicotine filth, but I thought I'd take a small $10 risk and buy it. The risk sure paid off! It cleaned up beautifully and sounds fantastic. I also have a Sansui AU-888 which hasn't been bettered, until now, maybe. I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but I can't wait until I have the time to do it.