Monday, May 21, 2012

My favorite record store.

  I love Around Again Records on Baldwin Street in Toronto. I still kick myself for selling my entire vinyl collection there in 1990. They paid a fair price for everything, but there were many irreplaceables.
  Barbara & Martin have been there from the start. They're wonderful people who really know their stuff. The shop is small, but feels carefully curated. This past Saturday, I found at least 2 dozen albums I wanted to take home! I also found an excellent copy of Ghost Writer, by Garland Jeffries, in the dollar bins out front. It's an album I should've never sold, and now I have it back for less than I sold it to Around Again for in 1990!
  Around Again also has a small collection of beautifully restored vintage audio gear, with the emphasis on turntables, as well as cartridges, stylii and all kinds of accessories for enjoying vinyl. Go yourself. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great looking store. I can see why you like it. Very much like the one I used to buy my jazz records at. Great bargains, but really enjoyed the hunt through the racks more. Unfortunatley, they moved out of the city, so no longer a place to drop into on the way home. Spinnr.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lloyd,

Cool reference to Ghost Writer. I sold my copy probably in the 1980s, but recently found a cassette copy that I listen to in the kitchen.

Garland Jeffreys still plays: I almost went to see him last summer in New Jersey. In the 70s, he was SO close to being the next big thing!

Paul O'Connell
Toronto