Monday, May 9, 2011

Problems.

Sorry for the lack of textual content over the weekend. I was quietly stewing about my Sansui AU-9900, my go to amp of choice that keeps being a no go. Everything was fine, until something or someone (ok, me) caused the connectors on the back of the EV Sentry 100As to loosen, possibly causing a positive and negative wire to touch, causing the green light on the front to turn red, and possibly (probably) blowing a channel. I'm embarassed to take it to the shop again. If I didn't still have the Nakamichi PA-5 power amp, it would be very quiet here!

I traded the Sansui G-6700 for a pair of DCM Timeframe TF700 speakers. The person I got them from had initially been reluctant to let them go because he was enjoying them so much, but had so many speakers that he'd stopped listening to them. Before taking them out of circulation, he had the speaker connectors changed, but didn't listen to them after the change.

So I take them home, excitedly plug them in, and am stunned by how bad they sound...gutless, tinny and terribly inefficient. These couldn't possibly be right, I thought. To make a long story shorter, the crossovers had been incorrectly reconnected after the connectors were replaced. What I'd heard was the tweeter signal played through the woofer and tweeter, and no output from the midrange. The midrange driver plays when connected where the tweeter should be, so I know there's a continuity problem in the midrange of that crossover. The speaker sounds better already, even without the midrange working. I haven't investigated the 2nd speaker yet, but the problem sounds the same, so I should be able to just remove the crossover and change the connectors around...hoping that the continuity problem is just a bad connection or solder on the first board only. I've been lazy about checking it out...I prefer no news to more bad news right now.

No comments: