Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Midweek Update.

The JBL L46s have gone to an excellent home, where they'll sound amazing driven by a Sansui 8080. That generation of titanium tweeter is really something.

As I write this I'm listening to a gorgeous Pioneer SX-838 that I picked up this afternoon. I had a poor example about a year ago (I don't think I told you about it), but this one is really solid, sounds great, and looks about 3 years old, not 36!

I also have a pair of Audax speakers. Audax, a french company, is generally thought of as a speaker driver manufacturer. They make drivers that have been used by Tangent, Paisley Research and many others. These are from the late sixties to early seventies, cabinets and drivers made by Audax. They have 8 inch woofers (with very light magnets...all kinds of driver designs work!) with pleated cloth surrounds and whizzer cones (!?), 4 inch cloth surround mids and one tweeter is original, a freaky looking chrome dome behind a round perforated metal cover. The other must have died and was replaced with a conventional paper cone that is an excellent sonic match, professionally installed, a long time ago.

These new Audax speakers have a KLH/AR look to them. The white grills are extremely cool in a very french way. I'll be stripping and sanding (and sweating on) them tomorrow. The tops are very scratched. They have screw terminals that need to be replaced. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

Oh, I did listen to them before I decided to put in the work. They sound really good.

No comments: