Monday, July 5, 2010

A Marantz I haven't had before.



I have a Marantz 2238, made in 1977. It's in the last Marantz black tuning dial style, which I will always prefer to even the most wonderful silver dial ones. It's in beautiful shape, though it needed a really good cleaning. It sounds beautiful too, especially the phono section, and has been driving the KEF 104s and Mirage 750s with authority.

Note: The lit dial is a picture I took indoors (in natural light with a tripod) and placed into my outdoor shots in Photoshop. Getting a lit receiver photographed well outdoors has so far eluded me.

3 comments:

vonfrost said...

I never was a Marantz fan, i just traded a 2230 for a Sansui qr 6500. This thing is a monster 50 lbs!

kelsci said...

I remember the 2238. It was a great sounding receiver when I tried it in the stores. I noticed Vonfrost's post. I had a 2230 and while it had the Marantz sound of that time it seemed to not reproduce low bass properly. It was like Marantz had a low filter in play all the time. I sold it to a couple who tried it on two sets of speakers; something Infinity and a 4 way Lafayette system. The unit played correctly on the Lafayette speakers yet was el stinko on my Marantz Imperial 6G units

Anonymous said...

I have a 2230 that sounds good, especially oN my Energy 22s. I just can't get over the turn on thump. Even after recapping.