Saturday, July 24, 2010

Almost finished.

The cabinet damage has all been rebuilt in fibreglass automotive filler. I just cast the broken tweeter piece. I coated the actual machine screw in vaseline and screwed it into the wet resin. After the resin set, it screwed out perfectly. I'm going to get the cabinets smooth, repaint the fronts and backs in flat black, change the worst JBL connectors I've ever seen to binding posts, and cover them in black wood grain or pebble (leather?) grain vinyl mactac, which will make them look like the 4612. The only difference between the 4612 and the 4612 OK is the finish (ugly woodgrain on the OK and that the 4612 had a tweeter level control, which makes sense because it was intended for portable applications, and the 4312 OK was for permanent installation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If I'm not mistaken didn't you have a post of your finished refurb of the 4612OK? If not how did these turn out? I have a pair of these in good shape (box) but sound wise there is definitely something wrong. I'm also in Toronto and will likely get them looked at and if worth it I'd like to refurb them.