Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New speakers as promised weeks ago.

I refoamed two pairs of eight inch woofers the night before last:

One pair is for set of AR 4xa speakers. These are early vintage Acoustic Research beauties. There is excellent information available here. They look pretty ordinary, but are growing on me fast. They are very natural and neutral sounding, with notably excellent reproduction of cymbals.



The other set is a pair of Epicure M-100s. I have EPI 100s, and have had Genesis Model Ones, and these are almost the same speakers. This set is designed constructed a bit differently. There is no lip around the grill, yielding a smooth front baffle like vintage JBLs. The drivers are clustered closely together in the cabinet, which should modestly improve the imaging, and does. This is the best pair of this classic (more than 300,000 manufactured over 10 years!) that I've had the pleasure of hearing.



The other pair of speakers I picked up recently are KEF 104s. These are going to be a project. The tweeters are both blown, one crossover has a smashed capacitor, the cabinets are in rough shape and one woofer, while looking the same, is a KEF, but not the right part number. I've fixed the crossover and am stripping the cabinets now. Frank from the Speaker Shop has suggested that a pair of Seas tweeters that I have currently in the Deltas would be a good acoustic and crossover compatible match, so I am going to install them and listen before buying a pair of the original T-27 tweeters.

Email me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

error: Epicure M-10
I like the sound of these better than the 100.