Thursday, March 11, 2010

I replaced the caps in the Burhoe Blues!

Replacing crossover capacitors is a can of worms I would have preferred to not open. As good as the Burhoe Blues look and sound, people with much more knowledge and experience than me had me convinced that they could sound even better. They were right! The speakers sound cleaner, more open, more natural. The bass is less boomy and more detailed. I wish I could tell you that the difference is night and day...it's more subtle than that, but it is apparent, and the difference translates into longer listening sessions and less fatigue.

The work involved was quick and easy. The Blues only required 2 caps each, for a total of 4, and 8 easy solders. I cleaned the midrange and treble adjustment pots while I was inside.

This doesn't mean that I will replace all the capacitors in every speaker all the time (the Genesis 3s definitely don't need it), but I am happy to be able to consider it. The next speakers to get replacement caps will be a pair of KLH 17s that sound harsh compared to other pairs I've had and heard.

Special thanks to JP for his knowledge, advice and support.

Email me.

No comments: