Friday, September 4, 2009

Mission 700s made in Canada!


I've had other versions of this wonderful little speaker that were made in Britain. This one is really cool! Cleverly constructed, the sides and back are light but rigid 1/2 inch MDF. The front baffle is one inch thick and very heavy. The drivers are bolted to the back of the front baffle, then that assembly is covered with grill cloth before being screwed from the inside to the rest of the cabinet, a very solid construction. I saw all of this because I had to take them apart to refoam the woofers and redo the grill cloth.

This canadian version uses a norwegian Seas tweeter and a french woofer, probably made by Audax/Polydax. These speakers sound great, with the lively, out of the box presentation that makes me love Mission.





e-mail me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent posting... thanks. I
just picked up a pair of Mission
700/Canada and it's great to come
across this page and see inside
speaker construction. Wonderful!!!
I have yet too hook-up mine but
really looking forward to process.
One thing not shown on this page
is the "crossover cct" possibly
behind the speaker L/R connecters.
More likely simply a capacitor,
but maybe also added a choke for
effect??? Now I think I might
take off the back of mine just to
sneak a peak. Thanks again, made
me smile broadly. Cheers MCJ

Rodolfo said...

I have a pair I purchased in Chicago (Victor's Stereo) in the 80's, along with a Cyrus One amp. They all still sound great, though I've wondered whether they'd benefit from some sort of updating.