Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cerwin Vega 26s

I got, refoamed and wrote enthusiastically about the Cerwin Vega R24s, the company's first residential speaker, in May. Now I have a pair of 26s which seem to be very much the same (but more commercially branded) speakers. The tweeters are the same. They have 12 inch woofers, the same cabinet dimensions and the same awesome bass kick. After spending a few hours: Like the 24s, these speakers surprise me with their musicality and delicacy with jazz. One of my first speaker refoam projects right before I started this blog was a pair of Cerwin Vega HED-10s, a 10 inch 3 way system. It used a horn tweeter that was brash and annoying to me. I replaced them with dome tweeters that made things better, but at the expense of some coherence. In my opinion, these vintage Vegas are orders of magnitude better than most Cerwin Vegas, and it's got to be because of the tweeter. e-mail me

No comments: