Friday, July 3, 2009

DAC Progress Report

(Digital to Analogue Converter)
It's been a week, and as I said after a few hours, the differences are subtle but apparent. The music seems to emerge from a more silent background, recordings sound more spacious and there is an increase in overall musicality. The highest compliment I can pay is that I have been listening to even more music than usual, and that's saying something. I know this is just the beginning of my DAC experience. It makes much more sense for/to me than cd players.

I have been slow in aquiring new speakers, but still have some good small ones that should be considered from Mission, KLH, Telefunken, Wharfedale and Altec.

Update: It's been a while since I listened to the Altec Ones...they are nice!

Have a great weekend!

e-mail me

1 comment:

Jakob Thiesen said...

DAC, yes this is good. Congrats!

I am using the Apple Airport, and i like it a lot.I just started using a MacMini for playback, which has little to no mechanical fan noise to battle with, highly recommended!

Also, my own obsession now has been redigitizing my Itunes library from my cd collection using the Apple lossless encoder, which has been really gratifying, (and disturbing) to think how much today's mp3 music has made me forget what music is supposed to sound like... the speakers and amp i obtained from you have been more than up to the task of reproducing the higher resolution sound, and are a pleasure to listen to!

Go Lossless!, (or wav/aiff) - hard drives are cheap!

cheers

-j