Thursday, May 21, 2009

Paradigm 3se Mk3. Another Canadian Mission!

This is not the first time I've compared locally made 2 way 8 inch speaker systems in light but rigid enclosures to my favourite british brand. This time is really appropriate because the Paradigm 3se Mk3 uses the same excellent, beautifully cast Seas woofer as the Mission 770 Mk2. I suspect it uses the same tweeter as well (also from Seas), but the cast metal housing is custom made, so I couldn't know for sure without taking one apart, which I'm not going to do. It uses excellent components in the crossover, is solidly constructed with strong bracing. The main design difference between the Paradigm And the Mission is the placement of the port on the rear of the former.

I'm listening right now and really liking what I'm hearing so far.

This could be a real eye opener for me. Of the canadian Mission style speakers I've heard, there have been a few that were pleasant sounding, middle of the pack, but good value (Energy ESM series, Image), and a couple that stand above (Rega, Merak), and give Mission 770 (series 1 or 2) a run for their money. I'd love these to be in that great company. I'll let you know.

UPDATE: Yes, they are!

e-mail me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paradigm use their own drivers.