Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Speaker Refoaming


I refoamed my first speakers last December, a pair of JBL Control 1s that I planned to buy but was given because they looked to be in dire shape. I found these instructions online, rolled up my sleeves, and a couple of hours later was listening to beautiful music again. I was hooked! I have restored at least 15 pairs since then, and many people have heard and bought them. A refoamed speaker should give 15 years (give or take depending on the environment) of great service. I can't tell you why some manufacturers used foam surrounds and some used other stuff (oiled cloth, rubber). It's not just an economic decision, but an engineering and acoustic one as well.

Though I've been asked many times, I had never refoamed someone else's speakers until last Thursday. I am not an authorized (or formally qualified) speaker technician, and though I've had a 100% success rate (so far), I can't guarantee that will never change. We'd all feel terrible if I ruined your speakers! Anyway, last week George asked if I'd try refoaming a pair of 15 inch Cerwin Vega woofers. I've never done a speaker bigger than 10 inches, and was excited to try. After removing the heavy cast frame monsters from the cabinets and pushing and prodding them to get the feel for their motion, I was confident that I could do it (I've done the same woofer in the 10 inch version), and told George. He left for a couple of hours. The woofers are bigger than a car steering wheel! They require much heavier foam and way more rubber resin adhesive than smaller speakers, but turned out beautifully. George is thrilled, and the speakers are pounding in his jam room.

I don't have the capacity (temporally or spatially) to refoam many more speakers than my own, but if you have an interesting pair that you want to bring back to life please contact me.

No comments: