Thursday, November 20, 2008

2226: The fairest of Them All?

I've loved and enjoyed every Marantz receiver that I've had. Each (even the same model number) looks a little bit different after 30 years or more. The 2226 listed here on the Vintage Marantz Collector's site, was made at the end of the golden age of the company, and to me is a combination of the two bezel design strategies that came before: the more silvery look of the 2230, combined with an articulated section that captures the tuner and filter controls. In my opinion the two textures of aluminum, the orange dots on the tuning dial, and the lightly faceted knobs (as on the DC integrated amps of the same vintage) all combine to make this rare piece the most sparkling Marantz receiver I've seen yet. None of this would matter if it didn't sound beautiful, and it does!
e-mail me.

No comments: